Service and support charges

The services that are provided in retirement housing are paid for through a service charge. If you are renting, the service charge will be included in your rent, if you have bought the property leasehold you will be billed separately and the details will be in your lease. <br /><br />The service charge covers the cost of services such as grounds maintenance, upkeep of communal areas and repairs to scheme equipment such as lifts and boilers.<b> </b>The support charge is to pay for the scheme manager and the emergency alarm.<br />
<p>If you have limited capital and a low income, you can apply for a reduction or exemption of the Support Charge by applying for a Fairer Charging Financial Assessment by your local council. If you receive Housing Benefit you will normally be entitled to exemption.</p>