Care & support for older people

There are many ways in which support and care services can be provided

But deciding which solutions are right when caring for older people is not easy. This may be because of the personality of the person being care for, or what is affordable. This section aims to talk you through the most common care and support options that are available for older people.

Remember, if you are in urgent need of care and support services then you should contact the adult social care team of your local council to request assistance. Regardless of your financial circumstances, social services have a legal duty to assess your care needs.

Care at home

Help with personal care tasks, like dressing, bathing and toileting, can be provided in your home by registered care providers. These services can be arranged by the Adult Social Care team at your local council  following an assessment of need. Alternatively, care services can be arranged privately by going direct to a care agency or registered individual.

Care homes

For those needing 24 hour care and support, a care home provides a private room within a residential setting where personal care is available when required. Some care homes will also have a registered nurse on-site, to help meet any medical needs. Care homes can be arranged on a private basis or through your local council, this usually depends on how the care will be paid for.

Help around the home

As you become older you may find that day-to-day tasks around the home, such as cleaning, gardening and cooking, become more of a challenge. There are many home services that can help with these jobs and there may be financial assistance available to cover some or all of the cost.

Housing with care services

Specialist housing for older people comes in many shapes and sizes. One of these is ‘Extra Care Housing’, also known as ‘Assisted Living’. These retirement communities allow you live independently in a self-contained property whilst also giving you access to on-site care and support services as well as other facilities, like restaurants and leisure activities.


Need to speak to a Care Expert?

Legal & General (L&G) provide a Care Concierge service that supports care seekers and their families with finding and funding care.

EAC and users have completely free access to L&G Care Concierge service. Their team of Care Experts can be contacted on 0800 086 9071. Simply mention when you get through that you found the number on the HousingCare website. You can find out more about their service on the Legal & General website.