I would like to try and adapt and improve my current home to make it more suitable for my needs, what can I do?

You may wish to begin by approaching your local Home Improvement Agency (HIA), these are not for profit organisations often set up by local councils, housing associations and charities. Their role is to help older homeowners, and sometimes tenants, with makes repairs, improvements and adaptations. As well as arranging for the work to be carried out they can also help you to identify any financial assistance that may be available to cover the cost.

You can search for your local Home Improvement Agency on our home services directory.

If you are just looking for a trusted local tradesperson then you might also wish to make enquiries with your local HIA. Alternatively TrustMark is a government backed scheme to help people find trusted tradespeople. You can view their website here.  

For more information on help and suggestions to keep you living independently at home you may wish to read our factsheet on Remaining Independent.