Disabled facilities grants

grants for home improvments and adaptations

What does it do?

Disabled facilities grants (DFGs) are available to qualifying disabled home owners, private tenants, tenants of registered providers (housing associations) and qualifying houseboat or park home owners.

A DFG is a grant that qualifying disabled people can apply for to help pay for major adaptations to their home. A major adaptation is classed as an adaptation that costs more than £1,000 that helps people with access into and around their home and to basic amenities such as bathing. The grant is available through West Lancashire Borough Council following an Occupational Therapy or Trusted Assessor assessment.

The grant is a means-tested grant, however, the Council has decided to waive the means-testing requirement to encourage more people who need help to apply.

What can the grant be used to pay for?

An Occupational Therapist or Trusted Assessor will recommend the type of adaptations that are needed. As a guide, adaptations can be used to:
- Allow access into the dwelling e.g. by providing a ramp
- Allow access into and around the dwelling including access to a garden e.g. by widening doors
- Allow access to toilet and bathing facilities e.g. by adapting a bathroom

If you need minor aids such as grab rails, these will be provided by Lancashire County Council.

Where it is available?

Local service (West Lancashire).

How to access or apply for it:

The first step is to have your need for adaptations assessed. If you have a non-complex medical condition such as arthritis, we may be able to arrange a Trusted Assessor to assess your needs. If your medical condition is more complex, it is a condition that will deteriorate over time or you may benefit from a wider support package, your assessment will be carried out by an Occupational Therapist. We can carry out an initial telephone assessment to decide which assessment route is best. You can contact the Housing Adaptations Team on 01695 577 177  or by email at privatesectorhousing@westlancs.gov.uk 

Additional information:


Info last updated: