Disabled People - Home Adaptations and Aids

Home Adaptations and Aids for Disabled People

What does it do?

Home Adaptations and Aids

Sometimes it can be the simplest things that can make a difference to our lives. Things like jar openers, grab sticks, long handled shoe horns or talking clocks can make everyday living safer and easier, whether you need help permanently or just for a short while – for example after an operation or illness.

The sooner you have the things you need to make life easier for you the better.  In addition to the help you can get from Social Services there are other local organisations you can go to for assistance.

For information and advice on equipment for daily living, to access AskSARA, the Disabled Living Foundation's free on-line, self-assessment tool, go to http://www.asksara.org.uk/index.php?auth=blackpool&forceintro=true

People with hearing or sight impairment

For people with hearing loss, sight loss or both of these, Blackpool Council can offer advice and information on mobility issues and local services available.

Following an assessment, which helps us to find out what you need,  we can provide specialist equipment to help you. These services are available to people of all ages who live in Blackpool. We can also offer help if you care for someone with sight and hearing loss.

For further information on the services we provide contact:
Dual Sensory Loss & Hearing Impairment Officer 01253 476939
Rehabilitation Officer for Visually Impaired 01253 477757

Large items of Equipment or alterations to your home
If you are considering an expensive piece of equipment (for example a stair lift), or altering your home (for example by building an extension or installing a level access shower) you can ask for an Occupational Therapist to visit you. They will look at what you can and cannot do and recommend the right equipment or changes to your home to make your life easier.

You can do this through your GP or by contacting Social Services Direct on 01253 477592, e-mail: social.servicesdirect@blackpool.gov.uk

If you would prefer to get the work done and are able to pay for it yourself Care and Repair can act on your behalf to co-ordinate the work. They will charge you a small fee on completion of the work.

If you would like to talk to someone about your options, please ring 01253 651555 or e-mail: care&repair@blackpool.gov.uk

Who it is for?

for disabled and older people

Where it is available?

Local service (Blackpool).

How to access or apply for it:

see contact details for each services above, or contact us


Info last updated:

Social Services Duty Lines, Progress House, Progress House, Blackpool, FY4 4US