Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

grants for home improvments and adaptations

What does it do?

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

If you or someone that you live with are disabled and would benefit from adaptations to your home, then you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to enable the disabled person to continue living there.

- Examples of eligible works can include the following:
- Installation of a stair lift
- Access to a suitable toilet and or washing facility.
- Making it easier to get in and out and around your property.

However, this is not an exhaustive list of potential adaptations a person may be assessed as needing. Please refer to the DFG Policy opposite for more details.

In England the maximum mandatory grant an application can receive is £30,000.

The DFG is means tested but if you are in receipt of certain benefits you do not have to complete a means test and will be eligible for the fully funded grant of £30000. The benefits are:
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Income Related ESA (not contribution based)
- Universal Credit
- Mandatory grants for children who are under the age of 19 years and where child benefit is payable.

Landlords do not have to complete a means test when applying for grant funding for their disabled tenant are not means tested.   

Winchester City Council can award non means tested discretionary grants for assessed eligible works. A discretionary grant may fund the first £15000 of any works through the Better Care Fund. 

Who it is for?

Anybody who is a homeowner, privately renting or lives in a housing association property.

**Please note – if you are a council tenant, then you will need to contact the property services team on the following link**

Landlords can also apply on behalf of their disabled tenants. Parents can make an application on behalf of their disabled children under the age of 16 or for young adults whom they still receive child benefits for.

Where it is available?

Local service (Winchester).

How to access or apply for it:


Info last updated: