Staying Put Scheme

home improvement, assistance with adapting your home

What does it do?

We can help you adapt your home or carry out essential repairs and/or improvements. Please read our adapting your home leaflet for more information.
You can also read about how our the Wellbeing and Independence Network (WIN) can help.

The following help is provided:

  • advice from a building surveyor about essential repairs / improvements / adaptations
  • quotes for work from builders or specialist contractors
  • help to find the money to pay for the work if you don’t have sufficient funds
  • supervise work that you ask us to arrange
  • ensure you are receiving the correct benefits and help you apply for benefits if you are not
  • advise you about other services 

Who it is for?

The Staying Put Scheme helps older homeowners, younger homeowners on a low income, and people of any age living with a disability (whether they own or rent their home) to live independently, in comfort and safety for as long as possible.

Where it is available?

Local service (Stockport).

What it costs:

If you cannot afford the cost of work yourself we will work with you to try to find the money you need. You might be eligible for a grant from the Council.

Grants are usually means-tested and will be repayable in certain circumstances. Unless work is to pay for an adaptation when special rules apply, grant funding is limited and not always available. The Council is under no obligation to fund the work you need.

How to access or apply for it:

Office open normal weekday hours only. Contact the service on 0161 474 4291

What to expect then:

Officers will visit you at home by prior arrangement to discuss your concerns. If we cannot help we will try to give you the name of an organisation or agency that can.


Info last updated:

Cornerstone, 2 Edward Street, Stockport, Cheshire, SK1 3NQ