Adaptations & assistance with independent living

adaptations and home for independent living

What does it do?

The council seeks to provide support to people to enable them to remain living independently in their chosen home.

There are a number of ways in which we can do this from installing disabled adaptations such as level access showers, hand rails, stair lifts, changing lighting schemes to improve visibility around the home, to carrying out small repairs and minor jobs around the house that you may not be able do yourself.

In many cases we are able to offer some form of financial assistance by way of a grant or loan. We also provide a private service across Norwich and the surrounding area for those who are not eligible for financial assistance from the council but who are able to pay for adaptations and improvements themselves.

We have a team of technical officers, caseworkers and administrative staff who have considerable experience with helping homeowners and private tenants to arrange home repairs, adaptations or improvements that have enabled them to remain warm, safe and secure in their own homes.

Private sector financial assistance

From 1 April 2015 the council adopted a revised private sector financial assistance policy which offers a combination of loans and targeted grant assistance aimed at helping the most vulnerable groups to support, repair and improve their homes.

This policy is designed to support private home owners and residents in Norwich by helping them to:   

- maintain their independence
- achieve better housing and living conditions
- bring long-term empty homes back into use for housing need.

The council has a number of financial assistance packages available to those eligible including Disabled Facilities Grants, dementia grants and other discretionary loans. Financial assistance may also be available to private landlords. 

Who it is for?

for older people living in Norwich

Where it is available?

Local service (Norwich).

How to access or apply for it:

Use the healthy homes referral form to make a referral for help with home improvements, disabled adaptations, emergency works and a cold home. The referral can be made by you, a friend, family member or health professional.

  • Referral form at


Info last updated: