Occupational therapy

What does it do?

Our aim is to help you find solutions to enable you to live independently or to support your carers.

An occupational therapist - also known as an OT - can help you live your life to the full in your own home by assessing your needs.

This may result in:
- providing equipment
- advising where you can buy equipment
- advising on alterations to your home
- finding alternative ways to carry out day-to-day activities.

Our aim is to help you find solutions to enable you to live independently or to support your carers.

If you have difficulty carrying out activities of daily living such as getting around your property, getting in and out of a chair or bed, getting in and out of the bath or shower, getting on and off the toilet, preparing food and drinks, getting to the front door or carrying out parenting tasks, we may be able to advise you on different ways of doing these things or provide equipment to help you.

Who it is for?

Older people living in Oxfordshire

Where it is available?

Local service (South Oxfordshire, Vale of White Horse, West Oxfordshire, Cherwell, Oxford).

How to access or apply for it:

If you wish to be assessed for this service or ask for more information, telephone Social & Community Services at 0845 050 7666 

What to expect then:

An occupational therapist can visit you at home to make an assessment of your needs.

Additional information:

Occupational therapists can tell you about the range of equipment you can buy, and give you details of different suppliers. Our equipment catalogue  allows you to see what is available and submit your own assessment. Most equipment is provided free of charge.

Adaptations to homes
If you have difficulty using your bed, toilet, bathroom, kitchen and getting around your property, an occupational therapist will be able to advise on adaptations to help you.

How to obtain equipment privately
You can assess your own needs by using the online assessment tool at the Disabled Living Foundation website http://www.dlf.org.uk/content/asksara . This will show you equipment that can help you to live at home and explains how to obtain it privately without the need to go through the occupational therapy service.


Info last updated:

P.O. Box 780, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 9GX