Support for carers

What does it do?

If you are looking after someone who relies on you to complete their day-to-day activities then you are a carer. This means that you too are eligible for support. Caring will affect most of us in our lifetime, whether we become a carer or need care ourselves.

Carer's assessment

As a carer you can get advice, support and help from Buckinghamshire Council and other organisations. A carer's assessment will find out what help you need.

A carer’s assessment is for carers over 18 years old who are looking after another adult over 18 years old who is disabled, ill or elderly. It is an opportunity to record the impact caring has on your life and what support or services you need. The assessment will look at, for example, physical, mental and emotional needs, and whether you are able or willing to carry on caring.

Any carer who appears to have needs for support can have an assessment. You are entitled to an assessment regardless of the amount or type of care you provide, your financial means or your level of need for support. The person you care for does not have to be receiving support from adult social care, nor do you have to live with the person you are looking after or be caring full-time to have an assessment.