Home Improvement and Support Team

Home adaptations, improvement and grants

What does it do?

Our Home Improvement and Support Team provide supported housing services for people with a wide range of needs to help them live more independently. This includes those with mental ill health, complex needs and disabilities.  

We also provide community support and advice through floating support or independent hospital discharge services. 

The support we provide depends on the needs of the individual but includes: 
- Working with people who need extra help to manage their home and stay independent 
- Helping people to manage money and pay bills 
- Putting people in contact with other local services that can help 
- Adapting someone’s home to make it more suitable to live in

The Home Improvement Agency service includes practical support, advice, adaptations, small handyperson jobs and information for older or disabled people to help them feel safe and independent in their home. 

About the service

Our team can support customers to:
- Make adaptations to your home to make it more accessible and easier to use
- Apply for grants and loans, where available, from the local authority to pay for major works
- Investigate self-funding options
- Find insured and vetted building contractors to carry out works
- Get advice on issues affecting your home such as rising damp or roof work
- Get advice and information on a range of other services that might offer additional help within the local area

We also offer a handyperson service designed to help you with odd jobs and minor repairs, provided by our own DBS-checked staff at an affordable cost

Our advice is free, and we aim to eliminate the worry of rogue-traders and excessive fees for professional tradesmen.

We have highly experienced staff to help guide you through every stage of an adaptation or other major works to your home.

Our services normally operate Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Who it is for?

Older people and people with physical disabilities

Where it is available?

Regional service (East Sussex, Kent).

How to access or apply for it:

How to make a referral

We accept referrals directly from customers or via other local organisations.

By phone on our freephone number: 0800 028 3172

By email to HIA@tch.org.uk

We aim to provide a response within 2 working days. If a home visit is required, we aim to visit within 10 working days.


Info last updated:

Monson House, , Monson Way, , Tunbridge Wells , Kent , TN1 1LQ