Equipment and Adaptations

What does it do?

Specialist Equipment & Adaptations

We will arrange to visit you at home and carry out an assessment of your needs, together with those of any carer you may have. 

If specialised equipment is recommended, it will be loaned to you from the Halton Joint Equipment Service. You can buy smaller or less specialised equipment from various outlets.

Recommendations for essential adaptations are presented to the owner of your home (e.g. Housing Association) for them to carry out. If you own your own home or have a private landlord, you may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant from Halton Borough Council’s Grants Dept. All Disabled Facilities Grant applications are subject to a means test. Social Services may fund smaller adaptations, such as grab rails directly.

Halton Independent Living Service

Halton's Independent Living Centre is a resource centre for anyone who wants to know more about equipment for independent living. It is for people with disabilities and their carers, professionals and other organisations. The centre houses permanent displays of basic and specialist equipment that assist with independence and caring.

The centre also holds regular Open Days throughout the year for equipment demonstrations. These informal open days will give the opportunity to try out equipment and discuss equipment needs with companies and manufacturers of equipment for independence.

Halton Independent Living Centre, Collier Street, Runcorn, WA7 1HB

Telephone: 01928 582920