Disabled facilities grants (DFG)

grants for home improvments and adaptations

What does it do?

How does the grant process work?

Our Occupational Therapist will arrange to visit you at home to discuss your needs and look at the potential options for adaptations.

If you are eligible for a grant, our Occupational Therapist will work with you to make recommendations for adaptations based on your assessed needs.

We will then work with you and any relevant contractors, surveyors and architects to ensure that the adaptations meet your needs and enable you to continue to be as independent as possible within your home.

Please note: The contract for any adaptation works will be between you and the chosen contractor, not with the Council.

Once the adaptations are complete, you may be entitled to a Disabled Reduction Discount on your Council Tax bill.

Who it is for?

Having difficulties getting in and around your home?

If you or someone living in your property is disabled, you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant towards the cost of providing adaptations.

Where it is available?

Local service (Eastleigh).

What it costs:

Will I have to pay a contribution?

You may need to pay a contribution towards the adaptations, but this is not always the case. As part of the grant process we will make a financial assessment, (unless the grant is for a child under 18 years of age). If you are in receipt of any of the following income-related benefits, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant without needing to pay a contribution:
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Income related ESA (not contribution based)
- Universal Credit

You can complete and return a financial enquiry form for a preliminary financial eligibility check to be carried out.

If you are in receipt of one of the above benefits or on a low income, you may also be entitled to Council Tax support.

How to access or apply for it:


Info last updated: