Disabled Facilities Grants

grants for home improvments and adaptations

What does it do?

We provide grants, up to the sum of £30,000 per applicant, to help disabled people in private sector housing to carry out essential adaptations to their homes so that they can live more independently. This is a mandatory grant for work considered necessary by an occupational therapist (OT). Work includes installing stairlifts, providing a level access shower in place of a bath and ensuring homes are wheelchair accessible. It can include extending your home if there are no other ways of getting access to essential facilities.

Disabled facilities grants will be considered for a range of categories of work:
- improving access to your home and garden
- providing appropriate access within a home to the main family room, bedroom, lavatory, bathroom /shower room and kitchen
- providing construction (or buying a portable extension) to form an accessible bedroom and or shower-room
- making a home safe (this may include adaptations to minimize the risk of danger if someone has behavioural problems which cause them to act in a manner that could result in damage to the building, themselves or other people)
- providing an enhanced alarm system for people with hearing difficulties.
- providing or improving an existing heating system where the wellbeing and mobility of a disabled person would otherwise be adversely affected
- enabling a disabled person to have full use of heating, lighting and power controls (including relocating power points to make them more accessible, providing adapted controls and installing more controls)
- providing help to get to common parts of buildings containing flats where a disabled person is an occupant.
- funding to help a disabled person to move home (if this is a more appropriate solution to adapting an existing home).

Who it is for?

Homeowners, housing association tenants and private tenants can apply. Landlords can also apply for an occupant who is registered disabled or eligible to register as disabled. We will make an assessment to see if the works are practical and will provide the most effective long-term solution. In exceptional cases, if your home is not suitable for adaptation and, with your agreement, we may decide it is best to help you to move to a more suitable accommodation. If you are a Council tenant and would like to apply for housing adaptations to meet your needs, please contact us on 02392 545609 or email GosportEHSupport@fareham.gov.uk for further information.

Where it is available?

Local service (Gosport).

What it costs:

How much grant will you receive?

This is usually based on a financial assessment (a "means test") , and you will be told how much your grant will be and whether you will need to contribute towards the work before you decide to go ahead. However, don't be discouraged from applying, as people with significant savings can often be eligible for a grant towards work. Grants to benefit a disabled child or qualifying young person (aged 18 years or younger) or if you receive an income related benefit or if you receive working tax credit and child tax credit and have an income less than £15,460, you will then be exempt from a financial assessment.

What if you can't afford your contribution?

Other sources of funding may be available from charitable organisations.  The Home Improvement Agency (see below) may be to help you with this.

A disabled facilities grant will not affect any benefits you are receiving.

How to access or apply for it:

In the first instance, apply to Occupational Therapy Direct by phoning 0300 555 1378 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm) or emailing to OTdirect@hants.gov.uk. They will arrange for an occupational therapist (OT) to visit you to assess your needs.


Info last updated: