Disabled facilities grants

grants for home improvments, adaptations

What does it do?

A DFG is a means-tested grant. Your eligibility depends on your savings and any benefits you receive.

If you are receiving some means tested benefits, you will automatically get a full grant  and not have to make a contribution towards the cost of work. You qualify for this if you are receiving:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (not contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance)
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not contribution-based Job Seekers Allowance)
- Guarantee Pension Credit (not Savings Pension Credit alone)
- Housing Benefit
- Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit (where your annual income for the purposes of the tax credits assessment was below £15,050)
- If you have an annual income above £15,050 you will be means-tested to find out if need to a contribution to the cost of works.

Who it is for?

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if:
- you or a member of your family has a disability
- you need to adapt your home to make it suitable for a person with disabilities

Where it is available?

Local service (Braintree).

How to access or apply for it:

You can contact us to find out if you qualify for a DFG or have to make a contribution towards the cost of the work

Telephone: 01376 552525

Email: housingservices@braintree.gov.uk

To apply for a DFG, you need to contact the occupational therapy team from Essex County Council’s Adult Social Care.


Info last updated:

Causeway House, Bocking End, Braintree, Essex, CM7 9HB