Disabled facilities grant

grants for home improvments and adaptations

What does it do?

If you have a permanent or substantial disability, you may be entitled to a means-tested disabled facilities grant (DFG) to help with the cost of adapting your home to meet your essential needs.

Home adaptations

Changes to your home should be necessary and appropriate to your needs, such as:
- giving you access to your home and facilities
- making your home safer for you
- improving the heating system in your home
You can use the grant to:
- install access ramps
- widen door ways
- install a stair lift
- have a level access shower fitted

Who it is for?

older and disabled people to help them live independently at home.

Where it is available?

Local service (Harborough, Hinckley & Bosworth, Leicester, Melton, Blaby, Charnwood, North West Leicestershire, Oadby & Wigston, Rutland).

How to access or apply for it:

Contact Adult Social Care for a care and support assessment to provide you with advice and an eligibility assessment in your own home. If you’re eligible you’ll be referred to your local district or borough council. Go to https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/adult-social-care-and-health/assessment-and-eligibility-for-care-and-support/care-and-support-assessment

You or the property owner can apply for the grant as long as you intend to live in the property for 5 years (the ‘grant period’).

To find out more about disabled facilities grants, visit gov.uk's disabled facilities grantsOpens another website in new window  page at https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants


Info last updated: