Disabled facilities grant

grants for home improvments and adaptations

What does it do?

You can get help to pay for adaptations to your home through the Disabled Facilities Grant which we can help you apply for.

The maximum amount available to you from the Disabled Facilities Grant is £30,000.

Your household income and savings will be assessed to ensure those in most need can get the help they require. After being assessed, you may need to make a contribution for the adaptations needed.

If you are applying on behalf on your disabled child under the age of 18, your income won't need to be taken into account.

Eligible work

Grants are awarded for essential adaptations needed to your home that will give you better freedom of movement and help you to retain your independence.

We will ensure that any adaptations are appropriate for you and can be completed at reasonable costs and within practical timescales. 

An occupational therapist will assess most of the complex medical related works needed including:
- widening doors or installing ramps
- installing a stair lift or door entry system
- providing an adapted bathroom or kitchen
- improving or installing a suitable heating system. 

Who it is for?

You can apply if you are:
- a private tenant
- the property owner
- a landlord on behalf of your disabled tenant.

You'll need to sign a certificate of ownership or tenancy stating that you intend to stay in the home being adapted for at least 5 years.

If you are a council tenant, you'll need to call your local council for help with adaptations.

Where it is available?

Local service (East Hertfordshire, Hertsmere, St Albans, Stevenage, Three Rivers, Watford, Welwyn Hatfield, Broxbourne, Dacorum, North Hertfordshire).

How to access or apply for it:

Application process

Find out more about the application process and financial documents we'll need from you when we visit you at home. Go to:



Info last updated: