Disabled facilities grant

grants for home improvments and adaptations; home improvement agency

What does it do?

A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) can help you pay for adaptations in your home.

If you are finding it difficult to:
- get in and out of the bath – We may be able to help you replace your bath with a level access shower.
- go up and down the stairs – We may be able to install a stair lift or through-floor-lift.
- get in and out of your property – We may be able to help you with low threshold doors, steps, ramping and handrails, or external step lift.
- cook or prepare meals – We may be able to help you by adapting or replacing your kitchen to make it more accessible.

Please note: if you are a tenant, you would need to get your landlord’s permission to adapt the property.

Who it is for?

for older and disabled people to help them live independently

Where it is available?

Local service (Portsmouth).

How to access or apply for it:

Call the helpdesk on 023 9268 0810 to request an Occupational Therapy assessment of your needs.

You can also hire your own private occupational therapist to make recommendations for adaptations. We can consider this too, and the cost of their report could be paid for through the grant if you qualify.

After you contact us, an Occupational Therapist (OT) will assess your needs and decide what adaptations you might need. The property will then be assessed by a Housing Renewals Officer to make sure the adaptations can be carried out.

What to expect then:

What is the process?

An Occupational Therapist (OT) will assess your needs.
The OT will refer you to Private Sector Housing for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).
We’ll help you make an application for a DFG. We’ll collect your financial information from you for the means test and agree the adaptation that will be done.
We’ll confirm that you’re eligible for the grant and confirm how much you need to pay (if any).
We’ll get builder’s quote for the work.
The grant will be approved.
You can then arrange a suitable date to start the works with the builder
Once the works are complete, an Officer will check the works and pay the grant to the builder (with your agreement).

Additional information:

Support with carrying out the adaptations

We offer a Home Improvement Agency Service, where officers will help you through the whole process from start to finish. This includes support with making your grant application, creating a specification for the works required, finding suitable builders to do the work, and making sure that the work carried out by the builders follow the specifications. This service comes with a cost, but the grant can also cover this fee.


Info last updated: