Diabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

grants for home improvments, adaptations

What does it do?

Who can apply

If you are a homeowner or a tenant and you need to adapt your property to meet the needs of a disabled person, you can apply for a grant of up to £30,000.

Your property can be a house or flat, qualifying houseboat or park home or you could be adapting the common parts of a building with one or more flats.

To apply you must:
- meet our standard rules for grant applicants (you will need to read our page ‘Grant applicants - standard rules and conditions’)
- have a written assessment from an Occupational Therapist saying that the proposed work will meet the needs of the disabled person
- provide information on your income and savings

Where it is available?

Local service (Kingston upon Thames).

What it costs:

Unless the adaptations are for a child, we may ask you to contribute towards the costs. This will depend on the income and savings of the disabled person’s household.

If the total cost of the works comes to more than £30,000, we may apply a means-tested discretionary top-up. This top up will need to be repaid when the property is eventually sold.

How to access or apply for it:

Contact us to discuss applying for a disabled facilities grant.

You can get in touch with our Contact Centre
Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5003

What to expect then:

If you sell the property

If you sell the property within 10 years of the adaptations we paid for, we can ask you to repay some of the money if the grant was over £5,000. Subject to the grant not being more than £30,000 the maximum we can ask you to repay is £10,000.


Info last updated: