Information & AdviceBenefits advice
What does it do?
We offer information and advice on a wide range of issues such as:
- Disability benefits including Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Carers Allowance;
- Welfare benefits to top up your income including Pension Credit and help with housing costs;
- Working age benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance (which has replaced Incapacity Benefit) and Universal Credit;
- Availability of grants and loans from the local authority, DWP or other agencies;
- Help with the completion of local authority application forms including Occupational Therapy self assessments, and the Blue Badge scheme;
- Consumer issues.
We offer information, advice and practical assistance such as completing forms and writing letters. An appointment is necessary for completion of a benefit claim or other application forms but general telephone advice is available most days of the week.
Appointments can be arranged at an office in central Wigan but we also offer a home visiting service to those who are housebound or would have difficulty travelling.
All enquiries are dealt with confidentially and impartially, and we will not pass individual details onto third parties without prior permission.
Who it is for?
Our information and advice service assists all people aged 50 and over, their relatives, friends and carers who are resident within the Borough of Wigan.
Where it is available?
What it costs:
The service is free of charge
How to access or apply for it:
For more information, please contact Starting Point Plus, Age UK Wigan Borough
Phone: 01942 826079