Advice and information funding work to your home

Advice and information funding work to your home

What does it do?

There are a number of ways you can pay for work to your home. These include:
  • grants or loans from your local borough or district council
  • your savings
  • charities and insurance claims
  • equity release 
  • equity release is when home owners use their homes to give them a regular income or a cash lump sum. The homeowner takes out a mortgage that gets paid back when the property changes owner, and uses the money to repair or adapt their home. You should seek independent financial advice if you’re considering this option. Care and Repair can give you more information about how the different loan schemes work and help you with the application process.

Loans can be given for work including:

  • new roofs
  • new windows
  • damp-proofing
  • central heating
  • kitchen and bathroom refurbishments and adaptations.

There are a number of conditions you’ll need to meet to qualify for a loan. We can talk you through these and explain how they apply to you.

Who it is for?

We can help if you’re aged 60 and over or have a disability, whether you own your home or rent.

Where it is available?

Local service (Forest Heath, Ipswich, St Edmundsbury, Suffolk Coastal, Waveney, Babergh, Mid Suffolk).

What it costs:

Our initial advice is always free.

How to access or apply for it:

See above for contact details.


Info last updated:

Suite 4, 1 Northern Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 6NH