Adapting or improving your home

What does it do?

Qualified and unqualified Occupational Therapists work in various teams across Adult Social Care.  Occupational Therapists aim to promote independence so people can remain living safely in their own homes.
Depending on where they work, this will be achieved via a variety of means.  
OT staff in the  First Contact Team receive initial enquiries to the Council, and, in accordance with Slough’s eligibility criteria, can help make arrangements for one-off minor adaptations or loan of simple pieces of equipment, or equipment repairs, replacement or collections.
OT in the Care Co-ordination Teams can carry out person-centred assessments of need for eligible new referrals and subsequently help them and their carers arrange for equipment, minor and simple major adaptations and undertake shorter term intervention.
OT staff in Long Term Intervention and Support carry out user led assessments of existing older and disabled service users who have chronic medical or deteriorating physical conditions and complex needs.
They can help make arrangements for provision of services or amenities such as specialist equipment, assistive technology or complex adaptations to help service users remain safely in their own homes either with or without assistance.