Home improvement

Providing independent advice, repairs, improvements, and adaptations

What does it do?

Our trusted home improvement agencies can offer advice, provide a handyperson service and oversee larger work on your property. Whether you want to repair, improve or adapt your home, we can support you to continue to live safely and securely.

These services are offered both on a funded or paid for basis.

We work with local authorities and partner agencies to help older homeowners, disabled people, those on low incomes and many others to retain their independence. We also provide a paid for service which can carry out private works to your home.

Contact us using the form at https://www.yorkshirehousing.co.uk/support/home-improvement/ to find out how we can help you and what funding is available is your area.

Who it is for?

Anyone aged over 60, or disabled people of any age

Where it is available?

Local service (Barnsley).

What it costs:

We charge a fixed rate for individual jobs and provide you with a competitive quotation that covers service and material costs which is subsidised by the local authority if you receive income based benefits. 

Access to the Safe Trader scheme (a list of preferred contractors so that you can avoid rogue traders) and advice and information is free.  We can also help if you do not qualify for a subsidised service.

We can help with applying for local authority grants, access to charitable funding, filling in forms, and identifying benefits for which you may be eligible.

How to access or apply for it:

Please use our website for full contact details.



Info last updated:

Sovereign Court, 300 Barrow Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S9 1JQ