Adapting or improving your home

What does it do?

Adapting or improving your home

Disability equipment and home adaptations can help you if you are disabled or an older person.

If you, or a member of your family, are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, you can request an occupational therapy assessment for equipment and adaptations to make it easier for you to live independently.

You must be a permanent Slough resident and have a disability which:

has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months and has no prospect of significant improvement

significantly affects your ability to carry out activities of daily living in the home, or imposes a burden on your carer or family.

Flexible home improvement loans

We offer a Flexible Home Improvement Loan scheme which helps homeowners aged 60 years or over to carry out improvements or repairs to make their homes:
more comfortable.

Loan offers we have made have included funding to provide:

new kitchens
replacement boilers
complete central heating systems
double glazing
solar panels.

For more information on flexible home improvement loans please go to the Flexible home improvement loan website . 

If you would like any further information about a flexible home improvement loans please email 


Where it is available?

Local service (Slough).

How to access or apply for it:

How to apply
Contact us to request an occupational therapy assessment. This assessment will initially look at what equipment, reablement or minor adaptations will make it easier for you to live independently.
For major adaptations, if a financial means test needs to be carried out you will be made aware of this during your assessment. You will then be given advice to on how to apply for financial assistance.

Additional information:

Am I eligible for a DFG?
You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from the council if you or someone living in your property is registered as disabled under Government legislation and:
is either the owner, or tenant of the property (landlords may apply on behalf of disabled tenants)
you can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your main residence throughout the grant period – currently five years.


Info last updated:

Observatory House, 25 Windsor Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 2EL