Help Leaving Hospital

What does it do?

How do I get help?
If you are going into hospital you may need help when you leave to continue to live in your home. If requested, a social worker from Social Services will look into what help you need and decide with you what services can be provided.

You can either contact the Adult Care Team above before you go into hospital, or you can ask to see a social worker during your stay in hospital. The nurse looking after you will arrange this if you ask.

Already receiving help If you were receiving help before you went into hospital the nurse looking after you will arrange for this to be started again for your return home.

If you were not receiving help or need more help than before, the nurse will contact the Social Work Department at the hospital to arrange for an assessment.

Rehabilitation services
Our Home Care Start Teams can offer rehabilitation services in your own home, help you assess your needs and get you started.

Residential or nursing home
It may be that when you leave hospital, you will need to go into a residential or nursing home. This could be temporary, to give you time to recover more fully, or to get services started for you at home, or it might be permanent.

Specialist Care Centres
It may be that when you leave hospital, you will need to go into specialist care centres to give you time to regain and retain independence short term and free for up to six weeks.

Our teams can also help arrange this, or give you advice if you are able to make your own arrangements.