Indian Senior Citizens Centre
What does it do?
Our main aim is to provide culturally sensitive day resource services for the eldery Indian community. We offer a large range of activities at our centre that offer edcuational, fitness, social and above all fun events for all.
Some of our activities
- Transport to and from the centre provided by our minibuses.
- Entertainment through TV, Video, Radio and live performances by members
- Exercise sessions everyday.
- Prayer daily for 10 minutes.
- Luncheon Club, nutritious vegetarian meals freshly cooked at the centre.
- English Language classes twice weekly.
- Library facilities - English, Gujarati, Hindi, Urdu etc.
- Physiotherapy twice weekly.
- Arts and handicrafts classes twice weekly.
- Chiropody once a week
- Medical talks every Thursday by medical specialists and paramedics on illness in older people, diet, nutrition and healthy living.
- Screening clinics twice weekly on blood pressure, blood sugar, chest diseases, heart diseases etc
- Exercise in Gymnasium - treadmill, exercise bikes daily
- Information, advice through a Link Worker every Thursday.
- Independent Advocacy daily by Advocacy Co-ordinator in centre, home, hospitals, during discharge, residential homes.
- Yoga, meditation twice weekly.
- Respite care, leisure and trips for carers
- Monthly coach trips to places of interest outside of Manchester
- Weekly general meeting of users
- Subcommittees for different activities - convenor of each subcommittee is a member of management committee
- Regular fund raising activities
- Management committee meeting 1st Monday of each month
- Quarterly monitoring questionnaires
- Quarterly newsletters
- Networking with neighbouring organisations by outreach worker
- UK Online free computer training - open to all communities - one co-ordinator and two tutors
- Quarterly monitoring by all social services departments