Residential Care

What does it do?

A residential care home normally provides accommodation, meals, and ‘personal care’. Personal care can include such things as assistance in getting up or going to bed, eating, washing, dressing, and using the toilet. It can help you to continue living safely, whilst giving your family or carer peace of mind knowing you are in a safe and supportive environment. Residential care and nursing homes should provide you with;

  • day to day support
  • a comfortable and safe environment to live in
  • activities of real interest and enjoyment
  • privacy and dignity
  • support for your physical, spiritual, intellectual, emotional and social needs

Who it is for?

Residential care is for people who can not continue living in their own home, even with support from home care services. There is a wide range of reasons for needing this type of support, for example, if a person has significant physical disabilities, learning disabilities, mental ill health, an alcohol or drug dependency, or is at risk of injury or abuse. 

Where it is available?

Local service (Harborough, Hinckley & Bosworth, Melton, Blaby, Charnwood, North West Leicestershire, Oadby & Wigston).

How to access or apply for it:

If you are still unable to continue living at home and are thinking about living in a care home you will need to contact your local Adult Social Care office. Or for further information contact Adults & Communities on 0116 305 0004.


Info last updated:

County Hall, Glenfield, Leicester, Leicestershire, LE3 8RA