Adult Placements

What does it do?

Adult placements offer qualifying adults the chance to receive the care and support they need in a different setting to the family home, or the supported accommodation, in which they usually live.
Placements are arranged in the homes of carers who have been recruited, trained and approved for this purpose. Placements can be short term, lasting anything from one night to a few weeks, enabling both the person with learning disabilities and their carers to have a break. Or they can be Sessional Care, time spent with an approved carer, either at their home or out in the local community. Also, they can be more long term, providing the opportunity for the person receiving support to live as part of the family. Not all approved carers offer all three types of support, and some offer personal care, while others don't.

Who it is for?

People over the age of 18 who live in the Wigan borough and have a disability or need more help because of problems associated with their age.

Where it is available?

Local service (Wigan).

What it costs:

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive. You may be able to get help with the costs and and someone will visit you to help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

How to access or apply for it:

The Department of Adult Services Central Duty Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and 8.45am to 1pm Saturday on 01942 828777 (minicom 01942 828791).

Additional information:

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone and check that we've got our facts straight. We will then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.


Info last updated:

Ince Town Hall Annexe, Ince Green Lane, Ince, Wigan, Greater Manchester, WN3 4QX