Nursing Homes

What does it do?

There are many different types of nursing homes in Bury where a number of people live together, looked after by trained nursing staff, available 24 hours a day. They are independently run by a variety of private and not-for-profit organisations. We can arrange an assessment of your needs, including your nursing care needs, to be carried out by a Social Worker and a nurse. They will advise you on the choices available so that you can decide how you wish your need to be met. However, your choices may be restricted by the nature of your health and care needs.

Who it is for?

Nursing homes provide nursing care for people over the age of 18 who live in Bury and are unable to remain living independently at home due to physical or learning disabilities, mental illness, sight or hearing loss. In certain circumstances, short term places are also available for people recovering from a hospital stay or illness, or to give the person who cares for them a break from their caring responsibilities.

Where it is available?

Local service (Bury).

What it costs:

The costs of nursing homes vary, depending on the type of facilities provided and the amount and type of care you need. Some staff will be qualified nurses and this means that the charges are higher than in a residential home. Help towards the cost of nursing home care is provided in part by the NHS and in part by the Council.
Everyone assessed as requiring a nursing home to meet their nursing needs is entitled to a contribution of £106.30 per week from the NHS regardless of their income or savings. This is paid directly to the Nursing Home.
You may be entitled to financial support from Bury Council to cover some of the remaining cost if you are assessed as requiring a nursing home. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. To get a rough idea of costs you can carry out a quick confidential financial self assessment, online.

How to access or apply for it:

Adult Care Services is the first point of contact for referrals for this service. You can contact them at:
Bury Council (Adult Care Services)
Address: Whittaker Street, Radcliffe M26 9TD
Phone: 0161 253 5151

What to expect then:

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we've got all our facts straight and then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.


Info last updated:

Town Hall, Knowsley Street, Bury, Greater Manchester, BL9 0SW