Southall Day Centre
What does it do?
Southall Day Centre is the first day centre in the UK to tailor services to older people from Asian communities. The centre is visited by about 400 people each day. We offer training, advice and support to our members. We also provide a range of activities including group discussions and seminars, keep fit classes, cultural events, excursions and day trips.
We have two branches:
20 Western Road, Southall, Middlesex, UB2 5DS
Sahaara Court, 99 Lancaster Road, Southall, UB1 1AP (relocated from Shackleton Road August 2017)
We’re always extending our work to reach out to those who are vulnerable in different ways. We’re here to:
- be a place where people come to find companionship and mutual support
- provide information, advice, advocacy, counselling and support on a range of problems
- run recreational and cultural activities
- collate information on the needs of elderly Asian people
- liaise with other agencies over the creation of additional resources and facilities
- facilitate and support the development of traditional oral community history
- encourage and support members by the development and introduction of new services and facilities
- stimulate employment opportunities by providing IT skills training and English support
We believe that in order to provide meaningful help, we must focus on the all the needs of the individual. We use this approach while respecting the diversity of our members.
We work hard to create a welcoming atmosphere within a professional framework. And we make sure services run through partners are seamless with the centre’s values. We also promote positive attitudes that rise above traditional divisions to encourage interaction whilst retaining a culturally sensitive environment.
We respect and treat our members with dignity, in a fair and non-judgmental manner.