Short Break Service

What does it do?

If you are eligible for social care support, you can include short breaks in your support plan. Carers too may be able to arrange their own short breaks, if they have had a carers assessment.

Short breaks (sometimes called respite care) can give you and your carer a break.

Many care homes and homecare organisation can provide short breaks.

How to use a short break?

Most short break services are to support people who Adult Social Care has assessed as needing care and support. Short breaks can benefit both the person and the carer.

Do short breaks cost?

You will usually have to pay something towards the cost of any service that you use. If Adult Social Care have assessed that you need care and support, you can read paying for care and support in the community.


If Adult Social Care has assessed that you need support to give you a break from your caring role, one option may be financial support so that you can pay for a break.