Sensory Needs Service

What does it do?

The sensory needs service provide a range of support services for people with sensory impairments to continue living as independently as possible. These include equipments and adaptations, as well as a linkworker service and rehabilitation to relearn skills following accidents and illness, or to learn new skills to enable you to cope with a change in your level of ability. Dependent on the outcome of a sensory assessment, we can provide equipment, everyday living tools and advice, mobility or orientation support, benefits advice, or signposting to other services or agencies

Who it is for?

The service is for Manchester residents who are over 18 and who have a sensory impairment, though we are developing programmes to enable us to engage with young people earlier. Specifically, we help:

Deaf adults
Hard of hearing adults
Deaf people with mental health needs
Deaf people with physical or learning disabilities
Deafened adults
Deafblind people
Partially sighted
Blind people

Where it is available?

Local service (Manchester).

How to access or apply for it:

If you've had an assessment, speak to your care manager. If you haven't had an assessment, get in touch with our Adults and Children's Social Care Contact Service on 0161 234 5001.

What to expect then:

A specialist assessment officer will assess your situation according to pre agreed eligibility criteria. If you don't meet the criteria, we'll suggest alternative help that you may be able to get.


Info last updated: