Residential Care

What does it do?

Residential care is the term used to describe care and support services where the person lives where the care is provided. This can be older people, in what you might know as a nursing home, people with learning disabilities, or mental health problems. These last two are referred to as network housing, where there's a different sort of care provided. For mental health service users particularly, it's about enabling people to live their lives independently, rather than providing personal care, such as help with washing or dressing.

Who it is for?

Many different groups can take up this service. People with learning disabilities, mental health needs, and older people.

Where it is available?

Local service (Manchester).

What it costs:

Individual homes can tell you about their costs, but if you have a financial assessment through the Council, we can check to see if you are eligible for help with any costs, to make sure you aren't paying more than you can afford.

How to access or apply for it:

You'll need to get in touch with the Contact Service for Social Care to refer yourself, or another person. The telephone number is 0161 234 5001. 

What to expect then:

A community care assessment would decide if your needs can be met by a residential care placement. This is judged against our pre-agreed criteria, detailed in our Fair Access to Care policy.


Info last updated: