Advocacy for Service Users and Carers

What does it do?

You may need to use the service when you feel that using the skills of a person who is independent would help you to express your views, opinions and wishes and to obtain impartial advice.

You might use the service when:

  • when we are assessing or reviewing your care needs 
  • if a service is withdrawn or reduced
  • if you have a conflict with us or with your carer 
  • when you are discharged from, or admitted to, a home or day centre
  • if you want to make a complaint to us.

Who it is for?

The service is for any adult using or seeking a community care service from Durham County Council's Adults, Wellbeing and Health service, including people who:

have learning disabilities
have mental health problems, including those affecting older people
have physical disabilities or a sensory impairment
are carers for people included in any of the above groups.

Where it is available?

Local service (Easington, Teesdale, Wear Valley, Chester-le-Street, Derwentside, Sedgefield).

What it costs:

No charge is made for any advice, telephone calls, letters, and visits to your home or meetings attended on your behalf.

How to access or apply for it:

To make a referral, or for more information on any advocacy services please ask your social worker or contact Social Care Direct using the details below:
Social Care Direct
Tel:0845 850 5010
Fax:0191 383 5752
Minicom:0142 988 4124


Info last updated: