Independent Living Loan

What does it do?

A loan for owners to carry out essential home adaptations

How much the loan can be worth
Up to £15,000.

What it pays for

There are three ways you can use this loan to pay for adaptations:

to pay your means tested contribution to a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

to top up a DFG for extra adaptation works.

if you provide regular respite care or support for someone who doesn't live with you, such as a child or grandchild, you can use this loan to pay for adaptations to your home so that they can stay with you.

Who can apply for the Independent Living Loan

To qualify for this loan, the main criteria you need to meet are:

you own the property to be adapted

an Occupational Therapist has assessed the adaptations as being 'necessary and appropriate' for the needs of a disabled person living in the property

How you can apply

Contact the Occupational Therapy Referral and Advice team on 0300 123 5010 option 2. They will carry out an assessment and, if they feel adaptations are needed to your home, they will pass the case to the Care and Repair service to help you with your application.