What does it do?
Organisations across Derby and Derbyshire are working together to ensure that:
- Adults at Risk living in Derby are supported to safeguard themselves from abuse and can report any concerns they may have
- there is a zero tolerance approach to the abuse of Adults at Risk where this occurs.
What do we mean by 'abuse'?
Abuse is a violation of a person's rights or dignity by someone else. There are many kinds of abuse...
This could be hitting, slapping, pushing or kicking.
This includes rape and sexual assualt or sexual acts to which the adult at risk:
- has not consented
- could not consent
- was pressured into consenting.
This could be:
- emotional abuse
- threats of harm or abandonment
- depriving the person of contact
- verbally abusing
- withdrawing the person from services or support networks.
Financial or material
- pressure in connection with wills, property, inheritance or financial transactions
- misusing or misappropriating property, possessions or benefits.
Neglect or acts of omission
- ignoring medical or physical care needs
- failing to provide access to appropriate health care, social care or education services
- misusing medication
- inadequate nutrition or heating.
- racist behaviour
- sexist behaviour
- harassment based on a person's ethnicity, race, culture, sexual orientation, age or disability
- other forms of harassment, slurs or similar treatment.
Who it is for?
What do we mean by an 'Adult at Risk'?
We mean anyone aged 18 or over who appears to be eligible for Local Authority / Mental Health Services because they:
- have a physical or sensory disability
- have a learning disability
- have mental health needs
- are a frail older person
- and/or are unable to protect themselves against harm or exploitation.
Where it is available?
What it costs:
How to access or apply for it:
Our contact details
During office hours (Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm)
Contact details to make a referral to Derby City Council, Adults, Health and Housing:
- Telephone: 01332 640777
- Minicom: 01332 640666
- Fax: 01332 643299
Outside office hours
You can contact Careline (Derby's out of hours emergency social care service):
- Telephone 01332 786968
- Minicom 01332 78564
- Fax 01332 786965
SMS text message number 07860 023081