Adult Social Care

help to find the right support for your needs,

What does it do?

Derby City Council is changing the way it works with people. It will be putting you at the heart of its social care approach, to give you more choice and control. We call this ‘Self Directed Support’. We will work with you to help find the right support for your needs, providing a much more personal approach to care. The need for this change has been identified in new national policy based on what people have been saying they want. This is called Personalisation.

Who it is for?

Adult Social Services is part of the Council's Adults, Health and Housing Directorate. Any adult living in Derby can come to us for advice and information about adult social care services that help people to lead active and independent lives.

Where it is available?

Local service (Derby).

What it costs:

Contact the organisation for more details of specific services and costs.

How to access or apply for it:

Post address:
Adult social care
People Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street

Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666

What to expect then:

When you contact us a worker will have a discussion with you. They will give you general advice and information. The worker will see if you meet our eligibility criteria under Fair Access to Care Services (FACS) criteria. They may arrange for a worker to visit you and carry out an assessment or your needs. The worker will:
  • help you identify what are your needs and the changes you want to make in your life. We call these your outcomes
  • work with you to identify how much money is available to meet your social care needs. This money is called a ‘Personal Budget’
  • discuss with you about writing a Support Plan
  • arrange for a Fairer Charging financial assessment to work out how much you may need to contribute to your Personal Budget
  • give you advice about other agencies or services that may beable to meet your needs if you do not meet our FACS eligibility criteria.

Additional information:

Any adult can request an assessment of their needs. If you are eligible
for social care support, we will work with you to identify how much
money is available to meet your social care needs. This money is called a
‘Personal Budget’. You can then spend it on what you want, as long as
it helps you to achieve the support needs and outcomes you agreed during
your assessment.


Info last updated:

Council House Corporation Street, Derby, Derbyshire, DE1 2FS