Disabled facilities grant service

What does it do?

The following types of work, when recommended for a disabled person by the occupational therapist, are eligible for grant provided they are necessary and appropriate and reasonable and practical having regard to the age and condition of the property:

  • making the building or dwelling safe
  • facilitating access to and from the building
  • facilitating access to or providing a bedroom
  • facilitating access to the principal family room
  • provision of a room containing a bath or shower or facilitating the use of such a facility
  • provision of a room containing a WC or facilitating the use of such a facility
  • provision of a room containing a wash hand basin or facilitating the use of such a facility
  • facilitating the preparation and cooking of food (only if used by the disabled person)
  • providing or improving a heating system
  • facilitating the use of power, light or heat by altering the same or by providing additional means of control
  • facilitating access and movement around the dwelling to enable the disabled person to provide care for another person

The applicant (who may not be the disabled person) must either own the property or be a tenant.

Who it is for?

Older and disabled people referred by the council’s occupational therapy service or Ealing’s Primary Care Trust.

Where it is available?

Local service (Ealing).

What it costs:

A statutory limit of £30,000 applies to disabled facilities grants.

All applications (except when the adaptations are for a child) are subject to a means test to determine if the applicant has to contribute towards the cost of the works.

The means test will be on the disabled person, his or her spouse and any dependent children.

If the total cost of providing the necessary adaptations (including fees) exceeds the available grant you will need to consider how to raise the additional money needed (e.g. by means of a loan, mortgage or equity release scheme).

Alternatively, the council may offer a means-tested discretionary top-up, which will be recorded as a charge against the property.  This top-up will have to be repaid in full when the property is sold. Where the disabled person is living at a relative’s property (usually daughter/son of the disabled person), the means test will also be applied to the owners. Proof of financial circumstances will be required.


Info last updated:

4th floor, Percival House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road, London, W5 2HL