Home Improvement Agency Service
What does it do?
Guildford & Waverley Care & Repair is a Home Improvement Agency (HIA), based at the Borough Council offices in Guildford and covering the whole of Guildford and Waverley Boroughs. It is a service that helps homeowners and private tenants to make their homes more suitable and comfortable by giving advice and practical help with repairs and improvements. We can:
The kind of work included
- Visit and listen confidentially to any problems with your property and assess the repairs or alterations needed
- Check your entitlement to any benefits
- Discuss payment for the work and help you to apply for grants if possible, including completing the forms
- Draw up a schedule of works, prepare plans and technical specifications
- Organise builders and supervise the work until completed satisfactorily
- Liaise with other professionals on your behalf such as Occupational Therapists and Grant Officers
- Provide this service also where you are able to pay for the works
The kind of work included
Repairs and improvements:
- structural work (interior and exterior)
- roofing works
- gutters and down pipes
- damp proofing
- windows and doors
- Re-arrangement of rooms for easier access
- level access shower
- downstairs WC
- stair lift
- through floor lift
- alteration to steps
- widening doors
- internal and external ramps
Who it is for?
People who own or privately rent their home and have the responsibility to pay for repairs and improvements, but who would find it difficult to arrange this themselves. For example:
- you may be finding your home less easy to live in because you are getting older or have some kind of disability and feel that alterations would help you to stay in your home longer
Where it is available?
Local service (Guildford, Waverley).
What it costs:
Building work can be paid for in a number of ways.
- You may be eligible for a grant from the Council or a charity. We can advise you on this and help you to apply.
- If you are not eligible for financial assistance we can still help you by arranging and supervising the works.
- If you decide to go ahead with the works using our service there will be a fee, charged at a percentage of the total cost of the works. This will be made clear from the start. However, in many cases where a grant is received this will also cover the fee.
How to access or apply for it:
If you think we might be able to help you please contact us.
Info last updated:
Health & Community Services, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 4BB