Deaf and Hearing Loss

What does it do?

Support work
Support workers have a wide ranging role and much of their work is with profoundly deaf people whose first language is British Sign
Language (BSL). We help people by:
Provision of information, support and advice on a range of topics such as housing or employment issues.
Development of social skills through individual and group work.
Encouragement of self advocacy, where necessary with the support of a sign language interpreter.
Support offered to help people comment or complain about the service they receive. Involvement of consumers in planning services.

Assessment/equipment officers provide a service to deaf and partially hearing people including:
Assessing a person's need for environmental equipment such as
minicoms, fax machines, flashing light doorbells, induction loops and
vibrating or flashing baby alarms. Arranging provision and installation of environmental equipment. Identifying more complex needs, with referral back to social workers. (Equipment Officers are often the first point of contact for
new referrals) Carrying out registration (if necessary) as deaf or hard of hearing
under the classifications required by the Department of Health for the
Personal Social Services Local Authority Statistics Register.

Who it is for?

Support to people in Walsall who are deaf and who might have additional disabilities.

Where it is available?

Local service (Walsall).

What it costs:

There is no charge for access to this service

How to access or apply for it:

Contact us as above


Info last updated:

Allen's Centre, Hilton Road, Willenhall, West Midlands, WV12 5XB