Home Improvement Agency Service

home adaptations in South Ayrshire

What does it do?

Read more at http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/housing/private-housing/homeowners/aids.aspx

What kind of work can I get a grant for?

The council has to award you a grant if the work is essential to enable the person to continue living in the property, and:
- you’re adapting a home for a person who has a disability, and;
- the property is the person’s only or main home, and;
- the property doesn’t have a sink, bath, shower or washbasin without or cold water, a toilet that isn’t shared with any other households, and you want to install one or more of these amenities that will meet the needs of the person, or;
- the home already has the hygiene and wasihng amenities listed above but the person isn’t able to use one or more of them, or;
the work is structural or involves making permanent changes to the house but does not involve:
extending the home to create extra living space, or
- creating accommodation in a separate building (for example, converting a separate garage to a bedroom).

Please note it is up to the council to decide whether or not an adaptation is essential: this is decided as part of the community care assessment process.

Who it is for?

Aids and Adaptations

Grants are currently available to homeowners and private tenants who require adaptations to continue living in their homes.

You can apply if you are a homeowner, or if you part own your home through a shared ownership or shared equity scheme. You can also apply if you are a private tenant, (you will need to get the landlord’s permission to get the work done, but they can’t turn down your request without a good reason).

How to access or apply for it:

Once your household has been assessed by a Community Care Occupational Therapist as requiring an aid and/or adaptation, you will be provided with the relevant forms.

If you require any assistance to complete forms or have any queries about applying for a grant please telephone 0300 123 0900 and ask for 'Housing grants'.

Or you can e-mail housinggrants@south-ayrshire.gov.uk.


Info last updated: