White Rose Home Improvement Agency
What does it do?
It helps older and disabled people to maintain their independence in their chosen home.
Disabled facilities grants
Disabled facilities grants help disabled and elderly people to live more comfortably and independently in their own homes.
A disabled facilities grant can be used to:
- make it easier for you to get in and out of your home
- make access to your living room, bedroom, kitchen or bathroom easier
- provide suitable bathroom, sleeping and kitchen facilities that meet your needs
- adapt heating and lighting controls for ease of use
- provide you with adequate heating to meet you medical condition
- make your home safer
Assessing your needs
North Yorkshire County Council will visit your home to assess your needs. Depending on the outcome, a referral may be made to the Home Improvement Agency and we will then assess the work, obtain quotations, approve grant applications and oversee the adaptation process.
Means-tested grants of up to £30,000 are available to home owners and tenants to enable the recommended adaptations to take place.If you fail to qualify, we can still support you through the adaptation process.Apply for a grant, call us on 01723 232323.
This service looks at all aspects of home safety advice and support. A free home safety check is carried out in your home, giving general home safety advice and offering practical advice and solutions to:
- reduce the risk of trips and falls
- improve the security of your home
- improve fire safety
- improve energy efficiency and reduce fuel bills
- other housing related support
To apply: call the Agency on 01723 383635 and ask to speak to a wellbeing officer.
Handyperson and minor adaptations service
This service helps older, disabled and vulnerable people with small jobs and minor adaptations around the home.
For example we can:
- Change light bulbs
- Put up shelves/erect flat pack furniture
- Secure loose carpets or rugs around the home (but not fit carpet)
- Fit replacement door/window locks
- Supply and fit Key safes
- Fit plastic and metal grab rails
- Fit mop stick handrails
- Fit external handrails
These are only a few examples of how we can help, no matter the work you need, always feel free to ask. If we cannot help we may be able to suggest someone who can.
Unfortunately, we are unable to do:
- Any gas works
- Any electrical work
- Any jobs at height
We also run a gardening list in conjunction with local gardeners. If you are looking for help with your garden, please visit our gardening services page at https://www.scarborough.gov.uk/node/450