Help with home and garden maintenanceHelp to to repair, improve, maintain or adapt your home
What does it do?
Help for council tenants
- If you are a council tenant and you are unable to carry out internal redecoration work in your home, we may be able to offer you help to do this, provided you qualify.
- If you meet the qualifying criteria we may be able to offer you the chance to have one room of your choosing redecorated every five years, in the finish of your choice.
Please note that there is a very limited budget for this help, so only people who have no alternative should request this.
You may qualify for help if you meet the following criteria:
- you are over retirement age and are physically unable to do the work yourself or
- you have a registered disability, which prevents you from being able to carry out works yourself and
- you have no family member or anyone else who can do the work for you
Help for owner occupiers and private tenants
If you are a tenant in private rented accommodation, or if you own and live in your own home, and you are on qualifying income-related benefits, then our Home Improvement Agency may be able to supply a handyperson to do jobs, such as putting up shelves, clearing and fixing, basic gardening, and many other minor odd-jobs round you house and garden.
For more info call our Home Improvement Agency (HIA) on 01582 546 789.
Who it is for?
If you are unable to carry out basic home maintenance there may be help available from us, or from other local agencies.
Where it is available?
How to access or apply for it:
Customer service centre
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall,, Luton, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 547304 or 01582 547659/660
Other help available
There are a range of other agencies that may be able to help whether you are a council tenant, a private tenant or you own your own home. You will need to contact these agencies directly using the details below.
Depending on the agency and your eligibility, they may be able to provide a ‘handyperson’ to take on light DIY, home maintenance or gardening tasks, or to give financial help for you to arrange to get the work done.
Age Concern Luton
39 King Street,
Tel: 01582 456 812
Age UK Bedfordshire (for people over 50)
Tel: 01234 360 510
SSAFA (for ex-service personnel)
SSAFA Central Office,
4 St Dunstan's Hill,
London, EC3R 8AD
Tel: 0845 241 7141