Help with home and garden maintenance

What does it do?

Help for council tenants

  • If you are a council tenant and you are unable to carry out internal redecoration work in your home, we may be able to offer you help to do this, provided you qualify.
  • If you meet the qualifying criteria we may be able to offer you the chance to have one room of your choosing redecorated every five years, in the finish of your choice.

Please note that there is a very limited budget for this help, so only people who have no alternative should request this.
You may qualify for help if you meet the following criteria:

  • you are over retirement age and are physically unable to do the work yourself or
  • you have a registered disability, which prevents you from being able to carry out works yourself and
  • you have no family member or anyone else who can do the work for you

Help for owner occupiers and private tenants

If you are a tenant in private rented accommodation, or if you own and live in your own home, and you are on qualifying income-related benefits, then our Home Improvement Agency may be able to supply a handyperson to do jobs, such as putting up shelves, clearing and fixing, basic gardening, and many other minor odd-jobs round you house and garden.

For more info call our Home Improvement Agency (HIA) on 01582 546 789.