Merstham Day Centre
What does it do?
Open Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
The Merstham Centre is the hub of Age Concern MRR; we operate a day centre three days a week and it is the base for all operational activity and service delivery.
The day centre provides a welcoming, homelike environment for people to socialise and enjoy the day’s activities. We have an on-site chef and all meals are cooked from scratch at the centre. There is a nine week menu plan and special meals for theme days and special events.
Whilst we promote independence and encourage people to make their own way in wherever possible, we have a fully accessible minibus available to transport people to and from the centre. This enables people to attend who would be unable to make their own way and do not have anyone available to bring them, thus optimising social inclusion and helping to prevent loneliness and boredom.
In conjunction with the WEA, Loveworks Charity and our own volunteers we aim to provide a varied activity program and always welcome suggestions for new activities.
In addition to the usual daily activities there is a range of help and services available at the centre, including:
- Information & Advice Service - including a monthly visit from Citizens advice Bureau
- Belmont Eye Care - an ophthalmologist and staff from Belmont Eye Care attend the centre every 8 weeks to conduct free eye - examinations, advice and prescriptions.
- Hearing Aid Service - the mobile hearing unit comes to the centre every 12 weeks to provide a hearing aid maintenance service. - We are also a registered distributor for NHS hearing aid batteries.
- Beauty Therapist - we have a fully qualified beautician coming into the centre on a monthly basis to provide a range of services, there is a charge for the service but Age Concern receive a donation for every treatment supplied.
- Chiropody Service - Step by Step foot health practice come to the centre every 6 weeks to provide a range of foot care treatments to our members for a reduced fee, home visits are also available on request.