Home adaptations, repair grants and loans

Help to to repair, improve, maintain or adapt your home

What does it do?

We provide advice and information to homeowners, across the county.

The home improvement agency

Most people want to stay in their own homes as they get older or if they are disabled. With the right practical advice and support, they can. 

Our local home improvement agencies can help with advice on benefits and other sources of funding where the work isn’t covered by the disabled facilities grant. They will write the specification for the work, organise the tenders and supervise the work.

Home improvement agencies have a wealth of experience in managing both the grant application and the design and build process. You are free to choose an alternative but we advise that you discuss options and preferences with the private sector housing team and your occupational therapist before making a start.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) 

If you or someone living in your property is permanently disabled you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant towards the cost of providing adaptations and facilities to enable the disabled person to continue to live there. Such grants are given by the council under Part I of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 and are means tested except in the case of adaptations for children. If you are interested in adaptations for a disabled child then please also refer to the children with disabilities information.

There are strict eligibility criteria for disabled facilities grants.

Mandatory grants - include access into and around the property and the main rooms used by the disabled person, safety of the disabled person and adapting the heating and lighting controls.
Discretionary grants - In certain circumstances this provides a top up if the grant exceeds £30,000. Please email housingrenewal@wiltshire.gov.uk if you require further information about this.

Who it is for?

Vulnerable homeowners and tenants to help them repair and improve their home, to help them and disabled people to remain living in their own home.

Where it is available?

Local service (Kennet, Swindon, West Wiltshire, North Wiltshire, Salisbury).

What it costs:

Due to financial constraints, the council will not be taking any new enquiries for grants (except Disabled Facilities Grants) but will continue to accept loan enquiries. The loans being offered are subsidised to provide low cost finance with low rates of interest for the term of the loan. In some exceptional cases and subject to finances being available the council may consider providing a grant.

How to access or apply for it:

See contact details above


Info last updated:

Beversbrook Industrial Estate, Redman Road, Calne, Wiltshire, SN11 9PL