Somerset Independence Plus

Help to to repair, improve, maintain or adapt your home

What does it do?

Somerset Independence Plus is a partnership between Somerset County Council, Mendip District Council, Sedgemoor District Council and Somerset West and Taunton Council.

Do you need help with adapting your home?

It's always good to know your options and of the changes you can make. Adaptations can range from minor works through to large scale extensions, bathroom and kitchens to smaller interventions like access and equipment.

Somerset Independence Plus can provide you with this advice, we can offer you support and once the scheme is agreed project management your works from start to finish.

Repairs and Improvements
Is your home in need of repair? Is your home damp? Do you have adequate heating? Is your roof leaking? Does your windows and doors need replacing? Do your electrics need up dating?

Inspecting your home regularly can help you spot a problem before it causes serious damage. Many problems if left, may end up costing you much more. Finding a trusted contractor, managing home repairs or organising improvements can be a daunting task. The Somerset Independence Plus team are here to help you!

Aids, Equipment & Assessments
Do you or a family member need help moving around your home, getting out and about, have limited mobility or are you looking for a piece of equipment to keep you safe?

Have you considered a stair lift?
Do you need Telecare Equipment?
Would you benefit from a Home Safety assessment?

Who it is for?

Our aim is to keep older and vulnerable people as independent as possible and help you identify the right solution for you.

Where it is available?

Local service (Mendip, South Somerset, Taunton Deane, West Somerset, Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Sedgemoor).

How to access or apply for it:

If you would like any advice on adapting your home, financial assistance or a low cost loan (subject to eligibility) please contact us today on 0300 303 7794 and ask to speak to a member of our Somerset Independence Plus team.

What to expect then:

We will visit you in your home to discuss the work that may be required, advising on building regulations and seeking planning consent. We will design and plan the works that your Occupational Therapist agrees are essential to enable you to live independently. Engage and obtain estimates on your behalf from contractors.  Then project manage the works, by providing advice with any practical and technical matters while the work is in progress.  We will liaise with contractors and Occupational Therapists on your behalf, and carry out quality audit checks and ensure that work has been completed to your satisfaction before any payments are made to the contractor.


Info last updated:

Unit 17 Knights Road, Chelston Business Park, Wellington, Somerset, TA21 9JH