Older Adult Home Share & Support (OAHS)Older Adults sharing a home with weekly support in whatever they need
What does it do?
Older Adult Home Share & Support (OAHS) is a simple way of helping people to help each other- keeping your independence whilst finding 24 hour companionship and saving money.
It’s where two or
more older people, who like doing the same things, share a home together with
weekly support in whatever they need.
Every Home Share is unique and designed personally around you. We provide:
- All the information and support to share a home and living arrangements
- If you don’t have a friend in mind, we’ll introduce and match you with care to a like-minded older adult with the same interests and lifestyle as yourself. Obtaining DBS checks and full information to ensure a long and happy friendship.
- On-going weekly support with your own local OAHS Home Supporter who’ll:
- Always be at the end of the phone
- Visit weekly visit to chat through anything you want to talk about
- Arrange any fun outings and activities you’d like to do from days out and theatre trips to hobbies and clubs.
- Organise any care or maintenance services that are needed.
Who it is for?
The scheme is for you if:
- you’d like the weekly support of one person you know well to arrange fun things to do in line with your interests and any other help you need.
- you’d love the companionship of living with an older person like yourself that you could do things with, both inside and outside the home.
- you’d prefer a home of your own with shared living costs so that there’s money available to improve your quality of life.
Where it is available?
What it costs:
The UK cost for shared living is significantly less than either independent living or moving to sheltered or residential care with an average saving of £58 to £244 per week*.
Ongoing Weekly Support – from your own Home Supporter who’ll visit weekly and be at the end of the phone to arrange any help you need and activities you’d like to do. Ranging from £29 to £58 per week depending on the numbers sharing.
Home Share Set-Up – all information and support from your initial enquiry and matching sharers together to establishing a home and living arrangements. One-off fee from £295 to £585 depending on the type of home share you choose.
*Based on UK average living costs and an example 12 hrs home help & personal care per week for comparison. UK Average Sources are: Keyretirement.com analysis of ONS Family Spending