Home Improvement Agency Service

Help to to repair, improve, maintain or adapt your home

What does it do?


We assists older, vulnerable and disabled residents with the grant or loan application process.

Home owners, private tenants and private sector landlords may be eligible for a grant or interest-free loan for home maintenance and other costs.

Many people struggle with the cost of home maintenance, especially older and disabled residents who may feel unable to carry out the work themselves.

Although maintaining the condition of private homes is the owner’s responsibility, we recognise that this is not always possible.

Your application will vary according to the type of assistance you require. In all cases residents interested in applying for a grant or interest free loan will need to complete a form.

If you require help completing the form in regards to disabled adaptations and home repair grants and loans our Staying Put service are available to assist.
Please note that no work can be started until you have received a formal grant or loan approval letter.


If you’re eligible you can get changes to your home to help you live independently. These changes are called adaptations.

Sometimesinstalling equipment in your home will give you the help you need. If not we will consider adapting your home.

How to get adaptations to your home

You will need to have a needs assessment to see if you are eligible for this service.

We will consider:

  • your needs
  • your type of tenancy
  • whether you own your home
  • whether the structure of your home is suitable.

Minor adaptations for council and housing association tenants

If you are a council tenant of Lewisham Homes or a housing association, your landlord must provide minor adaptations without delay if:

  • you are at risk of falls or
  • you have a health or social care need.

The types of adaptations your landlord can provide include:

  • grab rails for the toilet, bath and shower transfers
  • door widening
  • leaver taps
  • window openings
  • raised sockets and additional sockets
  • half steps
  • door entry systems
  • flashing doorbells
  • toilet flushes.

These small adaptations can help you remain safer at home and can be installed more quickly than if you wait for an assessment.

For more informationcontact your landlord directly.


We can apply for agrant for adaptationsif you are disabled and have been assessed to meet the eligibility criteria.

Get an assessment

If you would like us to assess you for this type of care, pleasesubmit the online formand we will be in touch.

Who it is for?

Older, vulnerable and disabled residents.

Where it is available?

Local service (Lewisham).

What it costs:

While there is a fee for this service, the fee can normally be included within any grant or loan.

How to access or apply for it:

Contact us as above. The reception is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.


Info last updated: