Living Independently

Occupational therapy aids and adaptations in Liverpool

What does it do?

If you or someone in your family finds it difficult getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, you can request an assessment for equipment and adaptations to make it easier for you to live independently. 

Who it is for?

You must be permanently resident in your own home, and have a disability which:

has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months with no prospect of significant improvement.
significantly affects your ability to carry out the activities of daily living in the home, or imposes a burden on your carer or family.

A person is disabled if:

their sight, hearing or speech is substantially impaired.
they have a mental disorder or impairment of any kind.
they are physically substantially disabled by illness, injury, impairment present since birth or otherwise.

Where it is available?

Local service (Liverpool).

What it costs:

The assessment and advice is free and some items of equipment and adaptations are also free.  However, if your assessment suggests that you need extensive adaptations which are not funded by supported living, they may be subject to a means test.  You will be advised of this during your assessment. 

If we think you need major adaptations - for instance a level access shower, stair lift, through ceiling lift or ground floor extensions - we will help you apply for financial help to pay for them.

You may also be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with costs for adapting your home.

How to access or apply for it:

You can request an assessment yourself or a family member, friend or health professional can do it for you. By completing the assessment form you accept the Adult Services and Health Privacy Policy.

Request an assessment at

What to expect then:

A member of the occupational therapy team will review your information. We may telephone you to obtain some further information or to discuss your needs in a bit more detail.

If we decide that you need minor aids and adaptations then we can order them for you. We'd aim to get your new equipment to you within four weeks of this telephone call. Most minor aids are free of charge.

If we decide that one of our team needs to assess you in your home, we'll put you on our waiting list and contact you to let you know how long you will have to wait for an appointment. There's high demand for this service but when placing you on the waiting list we will take into consideration how urgent your need is.

Additional information:

Advice on the aids or adaptations

The Disability Trading Company 
The Disability Trading Company offers information and advice on equipment they sell. Customers recommended by the Careline Hub to the Disability Trading Company are entitled to 10% discount.

Disability Trading Company,
Mobility Independent Living Services,
Summers Road,
L3 4BL 
Tel: 0151 709 0121.
Customers recommended to Advant-Age by the Careline Hub will receive a 5% discount when ordering products online or telephone 0800 999 6659 and quote OT code - CH5.  This discount is offered through a local charity, Age Concern Liverpool and Sefton.

Ableworld Wavertree
Ableworld is a mobility specialist which stocks a range of aids such as stair lifts, scooters and walking aids.

140 Rathbone Road,
L15 4HH
Tel: 0151 733 1118


If you are looking for advice on what to buy, the Disabled Living Foundation’s AskSARA website allows you to do this, providing advice on the aids or adaptations that best fit your needs and budget.

The site asks questions about your health and abilities and, based on your answers, tells you what aids and adaptations may help, where to buy them and how much they cost.


Info last updated: