Home Adaptations

Adapting your home, disabled facilities grant

What does it do?

Home adaptations make carrying out daily activities easier and safer if you have a disability. They can include things such as:

  • Installing a stair lift or through floor lift
  • Widening doorways
  • Constructing a concrete ramp
  • Adapting kitchens
  • Fitting a level access shower or shower cubicle

All requests for adaptations will require an assessment by Adult Social Care. Click on the link for assessments to find out how you arrange an assessment.

Who it is for?

For older or disabled people

Where it is available?

Local service (Newham).

How to access or apply for it:

For more information on Home Adaptations for Independent Living please click on the links for the HAIL service guides at:


Or download our leaflets

What to expect then:

Before recommending major adaptation works, we will ask you to try out any equipment that we feel may meet your needs. Click on the link for equipment to find out what types of equipment are available.

If we find that your needs require a home adaptation, what happens next will depend on your tenancy.

a) Owner Occupiers Registered Social Landlords

If the recommendation for adaptations is approved, it will be referred to the Home Adaptations for Independent Living (HAIL) team. There will be a financial assessment to determine how much Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) you may be entitled to. This means that the amount you pay towards the cost of any adaptation work will depend on your income and any savings you have, not on the overall cost of the work.

b) Council Tenants

If the recommendation for adaptations is approved, the work will be carried out by the council. You will not have to pay a contribution towards it.

Useful Download(s):


Info last updated: